What's It All About

Saturday, May 11, 2013

May Calendar Girls

Welcome to our May Calendar Girls' Blog Hop. It’s absolutely amazing when you do a Google search the interesting facts you may find. Such a find is special and unique occasions throughout the year!!! These unique holidays are our inspiration. As Neil Sedaka sang in his song "Calendar Girls" - "May, maybe I’ll ask your mom and dad . . .". Guess, you’ll have to come back to see what he’s going to ask your mom and dad in June . . . .LOL!!!

The hop starts with the beautiful and very talented Vicky at http://crafting-vicky.blogspot.ca/  The entire line-up is available just in case you get bogged down with all the holidaze and craziness!!!!

You won't want to miss a single calendar event!!!! 

The line-up for May includes:
 Holidays, Special and Wacky Days for May are:
National Barbecue Month: 
National Hamburger Month: Vicky

1 Mother Goose Day: Jearise
4 Bird Day:  Sandy
5 Cinco de Mayo: 
6 National Nurses Day:  Janet
8 Iris Day: Lynne
8 No Socks Day: Laura
9 Lost Sock Memorial Day: Sandy
9 National Train Day: Lynne
10 Clean up Your Room Day: 
11 Eat What You Want Day:  
13 Frog Jumping Day: Laura
12 Mother's Day: Kimberly
14 Dance Like a Chicken Day: 
15 National Chocolate Chip Day: 
16 Love a Tree Day:Anita 
20 Pick Strawberries Day: Sandy
23 Lucky Penny Day: 
25 National Missing Children's Day: Jearise
26 Sally Ride Day – (Sally Ride Day was created in honor of the birth date of Sally Ride, the first American woman in space. Sally Ride was born on May 26, 1951, in Los Angeles, California.): Anita
27 Memorial Day:   Janet
30 Water a Flower Day: Kimberly
31 Save Your Hearing Day: 
31 World No Tobacco Day: 

We are offering some fabulous blog candy to 3 lucky winners:


Miriam's Crafting Supplies is offering ten (10) sets of pearls to one lucky winner by becoming a fan on her new blog, Miriams's Crafting Blog, http://miriamscraftingblog.com/


The Stamping Chef,   http://thestampingchef.oo.gd/, is our wonderful sponsor for today's blog hop and has designed at least 4 of the images that have been used in today's hop. She is offering 3 of her wonderful designs, winner's choice to one lucky blog hopper that responds on each of the Calendar Girls along with her facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/TSCRecipes/, commenting that you hopped with the Calendar Girls.

Lynne will be going through her stash and sending one lucky winner a surprise package to someone that remarks and gives bloggie love on each of the participants.

For my first card today, I chose Iris Day which is May 8th. First and foremost, I love irises with the feathery shape and the color deep deep blue or purple. Second, my friend Rosie for her church conference, they used irises for their theme. Yep, you guessed it - Lynne and Rosie cut out over 100 irises and assembled them on the programs. I have seen irises in my sleep!!! My friends Rosie and Gayle have been super wonderful friends hauling my butt to doctor appointments early in the morning, across town, taking me for tests . . . . well, you get the picture. I thought with iris day, how appropriate to make a "Thank you" cards to give to Rosie and Gayle.


RECIPE: 
  • card was cut 7 x 11 inches using green Recollection cardstock and scored in half using Martha Stewart Score Board
  • background was cut 6.5 x 5 inches using My Mind's Eye Home which is from the first stack of paper I had purchased when I started making cards
  • iris was found through an internet search at einnej where I found a lot of interesting files which I saved for future use
  • bronze tone butterfly charm and green pearl are from Miriam's Crafting Supplies
  • ribbon was cut and set on the right side with a bow glued in the center using Darice Big Value  Premium Satin Edge Organza ribbon
  • sentiment on front is "I thank God that you were there for me." was a freebie from Create with TLC 
  • sentiment on inside is one I created myself using my Sakura Micro 3 as it gives the illusion of calligraphy
  • Stickles were used to add some "bling" to my iris along with chalking around the edges
By the way, Rosie loved her card as yesterday we finished about 6 dozen votive cups rolled in Diamond Dust and 85 plus programs with irises!!!! I will be seeing irises in my sleep!!!!!

My next card is for National Train Day for May 9th. Now trains hold a great deal of sentimental value for me as my dad always had a platform as long as I can remember under out Christmas tree. It was also always tradition to go to Buhl Science Center to see the train display sometime during the Christmas season. I even have the original tin train that my grandfather had purchased when I was born to put under their aluminum tree. See, lots of happy train memories!!!



RECIPE: 
  • card was cut 3.75 x 7.5 inches using green DCWV The Countdown Stack and scored in half using Martha Stewart Score Board
  • Levi Goes Choo Choo from The Stamping Chef was printed at 3.25 inches and colored with Spectrum Noir Markers with gelly pen hilights which was then fussy cut around the edges, glued on blue Recollections card stock which was also fussy cut around the edges
  • an Action Wobble was placed behind Levi Goes Choo Choo for movement as Levi is playing with his train  



  • ticket for sentiment and Mickey Mouse Ears with "number 1" were cut using Cricut Mickey Font Cartridge
  • sentiment on front is "Happy Birthday" was was hand-written using Sakura Micro Pen which gives the illusion of calligraphy
Doesn't Levi just look adorable as this miniature card which will be purrfect for a little boy's first birthday???

**** Just wanted to let you know of an awesome give-away at The Stamping Chef: Want to win this awesome quality shirt with the Bitter Sweet Design and I'm Imperfectly Perfect Text?!!! ***


So, this is what you have to do to to enter this AMAZING GIVE AWAY!!!
  • Order for $10 or more in The Stamping Chef store
  • When you do, you're automatically entered into the give-away
  • If you order twice from now til June 21, 2013, you'll be entered twice, etc.
  • Open world-wide; so, everyone can join!!!
  • The winner will be announced after June 21, 2013
  • The winner will be able to choose size and color!!!
If you ever thought of purchasing any of The Stamping Chef's wonderful designs, this would be the purrfect time!!!!

Your next stop along the way of the calendar is the very talented Laura. Thanks for stopping by and mark your calendar again next month to see what Holidays to Celebrate on June 8, 2013, for the next Calendar Girls Blog Hop!

God Bless you and thank you ever sew much for stopping by today! I love reading comments and would love to read yours . . . .

Much love, hugs, and friendship
Lynne

5 comments:

  1. WOW those card are totally fabulous. Just love the wonderful butterfly on the 1st one! And so fun the little guy on the wobble. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne your cards are amazing... love them!!!! the iris's are wonderful..
    just a ps.. I cant find a place to register as a fan at Miriam's blog..
    have already joined fb page though..
    thanks for having me in the hop.. always fun and great projects..
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your iris card it is beautiful and the train card is too cute and of course I absolutely love that it wobbles. have a Happy others day My friend!!
    Big Blog Hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cards are wonderful! The Iris is so beautiful! bbiswabic@new.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards! I can't believe you did 100. I limit my cuts to under 50 at a time, lol. Can't wait for next month :)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love to hear what you think about my projects and would love to read your thoughts and inspirations.. Thank you for leaving a comment as I read each and everyone and thank you for taking the time to visit. Much love, hugs, and friendship
Lynne
aka Her Craftiness