What's It All About

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Father's Day and a Father's Love

This is in memory and honor of my dad


Willard (Whitey) C. Geib 1926-2011


who passed in January of this year.




My dad and I only became close when I was in my 40's. This is when he first told me he loved me and with that it took away all the bad memories of my growing up. Daddy and I grew from that point forward. What a blessing it was to have not only my Father's love but now my Daddy's love. This began after my youngest daughter had passed in October of 1991 and shortly thereafter he had his first stroke that we grew closer. He realized at that point in his life how precious life was here on earth. I loved my daddy dearly and will miss him. It is going to be hard this coming Sunday with it being the first Father's Day and I don't have my daddy.



When Daddy was able, it would be our special time to go out for breakfast early in the morning at Eat'n Park every Father's Day. One of the last outings was when my husband and I took Daddy to the County Airport to see the planes he so dearly loved and flew in. My Daddy, as I am sure yours is also, was a very special man. Who in the beginning of our relationship could be termed a hard-hearted German except when it came to my Mom, whom he loved dearly. The two of them were inseparable. Even in death, as my Mother died shortly thereafter and they are together again! My Daddy believed in God, loved his country, my Mother, his grandchildren, and me! This is for you Daddy - God Bless you . . .




***********


I had made this for my Daddy last year. This was before I knew there was such a thing as chipboard! What I had done for the thickness of this word book was re-purpose cereal boxes. The cereal boxes were used as a layer of between the cardstock. This was designed on Make the Cut by trial and error not only with the size of the pages but also the font and placement of the holes. I was quite pleased though with the outcome and Daddy carried it around to show the people in the nursing facility! Pictures of Daddy were used throughout in various stages of his life both with his Dad in his uniform with this frame cut from Stand and Salute Cartridge, myself and of course his grandkids! The other frames were cut from the Heritage cartridge which has beautiful elegant framing. The beer stein with "Here's to Dad" is from SVG Cuts. The little digi stamp "Daddy's Girl" was from Tiddly Inks which was colored and shaded with colored pencils. I have a CD, 1000 Card Quotes from Hot Off the Press (paperpizzaz.com), which was purchased from Pat Catan's which has a lot of beautiful quotes and phrases for cards which was added to the pages. Binder rings are holding the book together with ribbons just for fun! All the papers were from a surprise package which was purchased from Pat Catan's which held a lot of treasures - especially the "Father" paper!!! It was truly a wonderful find! This was a project that I had done with my much earlier experiences with my Cricut but was done from the heart. I still love the outcome and it was made for a great man, my Daddy! I hope you enjoy!








Thanks for stopping by
Hugs and love,



Lynne

3 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing your story. May the Lord our God smile extra special on you this Father's Day and may you feel His warmth that only our heavenly Father can bring. Be blessed!

    Christel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this and isn't chipboard fun!! Thanks for sharing your story and I miss my father too and it is hard to have a loss and celebrate a holiday that celebrates them but we can celebrate them in their memories!...love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute to your dad and the love you have for him. People pass but the love lives on! This is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love to hear what you think about my projects and would love to read your thoughts and inspirations.. Thank you for leaving a comment as I read each and everyone and thank you for taking the time to visit. Much love, hugs, and friendship
Lynne
aka Her Craftiness